How I gave up my name to Basket Mouth" -MC Miracle '(Old Basket Mouth) | This Is Miss Petite Nigeria Blog

Friday 25 July 2014

How I gave up my name to Basket Mouth" -MC Miracle '(Old Basket Mouth)

Comedian Ernest Essien originally known as Basket mouth has opened up to Vanguard on how he let Bright Okpocha, now famous as ‘Basketmouth keep the name’.Ernest said he was bearing the name but had to change his to MC Miracle to avoid clash of identity.....
No, he didn’t steal the name. Sometime in 2000-2001, Basketmouth approached me during one of the Plantashun Boiz’s concert at D Den on Isaac John in Ikeja and he introduced himself to me as ‘Basketmouth’ and told me he heard I was also using the name. I was already an established entertainer then so what I saw was a younger brother from Benin with hunger for success in his eyes. There and then, I asked him if he liked the name and his response was in the affirmative. I told him to keep the name so I changed mine. Most of my friends including my wife did not approve of this. They said I sold my birthright to him. Till date, some of my colleagues still call me MC
Did the change in name affect you?

Definitely yes, because I had to begin a rebuilding process, getting to let my clients and fans know about it . It took a lot of time, money and conviction. But since they got used to it, it has been great.
So what is your relationship with Basketmouth?
He is my younger brother who is doing very well for himself. In fact, I feel proud that I allowed him use the name and he has always shown me respect whenever we meet. Way back, we cover up shows for each other. I remember one particular incident when he had to go for an interview at the America embassy to get visa and also had to perform at Pall Mall in Calabar. He called on me and I went to cover up for him. We have a cordial relationship though we hardly see often because of our busy schedules.

15 comments:

  1. You didn't value your art and talent. If you did, you would never have given up your name. I remember being shocked to see Bright as Basketmouth because I knew you as Basketmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. d name fits Bright more than MC Miracle. Its cool he did the right thing.......www.exclusivegroove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were right about the hunger in his eyes. You did the right thing giving him the name

    ReplyDelete
  4. You saw the hunger in his eyes?So you had no hunger for success yourself? Was not a clever thing to do,you don't build a brand and just give it up! Maybe he wasn't crazy about the name himself,or maybe there's another side to the story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MC neva new basket mouth wil b a brandname,dats y e sold his birthright! Portable

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have netmouth for sale.hurry now while offer last*oke*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rubbish... Hw does ur nickname becumz ur talent? Even if basketmouth didn't get d name from u I'm sure he will still sell in showbiz. Abeg park well wit ur miracle name make d men wey sabi talk. I dnt even like d name basketmouth I prefer calling him SHORMUTO a.k.a past4 eyes

    ReplyDelete
  8. The name didn't affect you. Your lack of hustle did

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shaarraaaaap there! I have known basketmouth from GRA Benin..... wayback since 98/99. So shaaraaaaaaaaaap!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Basket mouth would have made it as any other name. He has talent. That's what made him. Not the name. MC Miracle you dint believe in your self. If you did you won't have given up your brand so easily

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha this mumu man funny shaa, U are nothing but another stylish begger! i know u would have said u sue him to court for identity theft but b'cus u know u will loose out and b'cus u know there's no law in nigeria so u are coming with style to beg for cash and gannerpublic sympathy. As some commentators have said here U actually did have nothing to offer b'cus comedy has nothing to do with a name b'cus Bright Opocha would have still succeeded with any name b'cus i know the stuff he's made off -he's naturally gifted and talented cus his shows have always been sold out, i never miss his shows at the eko-hotels vi or at fantasy land in ikoyi and maybe u should go to Youtube and watch his sold out one man shows at London 02 arena and his shows throughout London and Europe, So Mr Miracle or whatever ur name is go step up ur game cus there's nothing in a name when it comes to comedy if not ur name as Mc Miracle would have worked miracle for u,. (9ijaborn yankeebased)

    ReplyDelete



For Inquiries/Tipoff emepretty@gmail.com - Call 08095369321