Over 16,000 people sign petition against Facebook's 'Feeling Fat'Emoji | This Is Miss Petite Nigeria Blog

Tuesday 10 March 2015

Over 16,000 people sign petition against Facebook's 'Feeling Fat'Emoji

There has been backlash over Facebook's feeling fat emoji ,with over 16,100 signing an online petition which calls for the 'feeling fat' emoticon to be eliminated from Facebook's list of emojis
The petition, on change.org, was set up by Catherine Weingarten and the group Endangered Bodies, according to the page.

Weingarten wrote on the petition's page
'Scrolling through Facebook the other day, I saw a friend’s status set to "feeling fat," accompanied by an emoji with chubby cheeks and a double chin.
'I think it was supposed to be funny, but seeing this status made me feel angry.
'As someone who has struggled with and overcome disordered eating, I know what it’s like to "feel" fat. I have spent years of my life consumed with negative thoughts about my body, and far too many days starving myself in an effort to lose weight. 
But even worse than the skipped meals and the hours spent obsessing in front of the mirror was the fear of what others thought about me and my body.
'When Facebook users set their status to "feeling fat," they are making fun of people who consider themselves to be overweight, which can include many people with eating disorders.
'That is not ok. Join me in asking Facebook to remove the "fat" emoji from their status options.'
In an interview with ABC News, Weingarten said:
 'I think we all need to be a little more careful about how we talk about their bodies and learn how to use a more body positive vocabulary,' she told the news outlet.
Facebook said in a statement to ABC News that 'People use Facebook to share their feelings with friends and support each other.
'One option we give people to express themselves is to add a feeling to their posts. You can choose from over 100 feelings we offer based on people’s input or create your own.'

18 comments:

  1. Hian ndi ocha ehn
    Unu nwere efe eziokwu. Una get strength for everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there is any big deal there.....any way it depends on how people reason\view things in different Perspective

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misplaced Piorities.This is wat happens when pple have a lot of time on their hand.They should also sign petition against me

    No shaking

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any fat fellow in here!??....oya tell us your take on the 'feeling fat' emoji

    Nna ehh....dem even interview her cos of common emoji....pple get time

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly, fat ain't a feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joblessness. Feeling fat is nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fat or slim God made them beautiful -Pst.Chekeleke

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fat or slim God made them beautiful -Pst.Chekeleke

    ReplyDelete
  9. MR EDDY said this heat wan kill person o.

    Excess time dey worry them.
    ^
    ^
    ^™THAT EDO BOY.COM~

    ReplyDelete
  10. a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said...
    .
    Everything na matter for this people......
    .
    .
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mnximm, Fat is Fat abeg, it is not something that looks like FAT!

    ReplyDelete

  12. ah!!! oyibo get time sha

    Gay, I can work with. Gay, I could get elected. Gay, I could take all the way. Give me ten years, and I can make a gay president… This? Single, celibate? No women or men anywhere?! No virility, no testosterone? No passion? That’s fatal…When’s the last time a single man has been elected to the governor’s mansion in any state in the past forty years? People don’t like a guy they can’t place.”—Olivia Pope
    Read more here 5 quotes from scandal you should read

    ReplyDelete



For Inquiries/Tipoff emepretty@gmail.com - Call 08095369321