Touchng Love story-Husband who kept vigil by his wife's grave everyday for 20years dies | This Is Miss Petite Nigeria Blog

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Touchng Love story-Husband who kept vigil by his wife's grave everyday for 20years dies

When Rocky Abalsamo's wife died in 1993, part of him died too.Out of sadness and longing, he would hold vigil by her grave site at St. Joseph Cemetery in West Roxbury all day, every day, rarely eating or drinking and weathering all temperatures and conditions.
Now, over 20 years after his beautiful Julia 'Julita' passed away, Rocky 'Roque' continues to sit next to his beloved, after being buried in the plot next to her.Rocky died on Janaury 22 at Stonehedge Health Care Center in West Roxbury after several months of declining health.He was 97.


They met as teenagers in a cafe in their native Buenos Aires. Rocky was sitting with his back to Julita when he overheard her talking with friends “about the soul, about life, goodness,” Even before seeing her face, he decided, “This is for me. I must know her.”
He said he fell in love with her “not because she was” – he made the symbol for an hourglass figure with his hands – “but she was,” he added, making the gesture again. “She was pure love. Her beauty was a gift apart, a reward.”

They shared a first kiss on Sept. 16, 1937, a date he celebrated annually. They married the following April. After their daughter Angela, they had a son, Roque Jr.Rocky worked for three decades as a civil engineer while Julita tended their family. They followed their children to the United States in 1971 and settled in Boston a year later
Rocky and Julita had been married for 55 years when she died in 1993 of complications after heart surgery. Distraught, he began spending his days at St. Joseph Cemetery.

“She is part of me, so here I am whole,” he said. “Being here makes me feel better. Not good, but better. I do it for Julita, and for myself.”
Among the belongings he carried daily to the cemetery was a photograph of a lovely woman with green eyes and dark hair. On the back, she had written: “Today the sky smiles to me. I see you. You look at me. Today I believe in God. With all my love, Julita.”
The Globe’s 2000 story, headlined “Endless Love,” described Rocky’s ritual:
“On cold days Rocky wears a patched and faded green parka. He owns other coats, but Julita knew this one best, so he will not change. He greets Julita — ‘I am here!’ Then he unfolds a blue beach chair — he leaves it every night against her headstone — placing it on a piece of plywood to keep it from sinking into the soft earth. Then Rocky relaxes, reading, writing, and reflecting. For exercise and to keep warm, he walks around nearby headstones engraved Cicciu, St. Clair, Doyle, Galvin, and Daley.
“He rarely eats or drinks, in part out of respect but also so he does not need a bathroom. On special occasions he toasts Julita with sparkling cider; he will do so Dec. 20, her birthday. Some days he brings a cassette player. On one tape they sing together, a Spanish lullaby. Rocky’s strong tenor is answered by Julita’s sweet soprano. Hearing Julita’s voice brings a smile to his face, a mist to his clear blue eyes.
“When dark comes, Rocky prays. He sprinkles crumbs on the grave, so chipmunks will keep Julita company after he has gone. Sadness returning, he says goodbye. He rubs her name on the red granite stone. The ritual has left an indelible mark.”
Over time, what began as a personal act of mourning touched dozens of others who came to the cemetery. Former strangers brought him meals, boots, hats, and scarves, and they decorated Julita’s grave with plants, ceramic angels, flags, and stuffed animals. He told them stories and shared his wisdom about life and love.

Rocky continued his daily pilgrimage until 2005, when his son was killed in a car crash in California. Although he still visited Julita’s grave regularly, Rocky spent more time with his surviving family members.
“I think he had a realization at that point that we need to let go and we need to continue to live,” his daughter said.
His last visit was in July, before he fell ill.

Boston Globe

29 comments:

  1. I just had to cry after reading this. It makes me realize what a dumb jerk I have as a husband. In fact that nigga is going to celebrate if I die

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so touching. Ds kind of luv is rare

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, see true love... Abeg o, make this type of love never catch me yet.... My eye still they chuck for all this chuma's them.... See debo see ruth see grace and eunice.... (ladies i luv but all in there own special way).. God4bid, abeg not nw.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww true love like me and my Frenchiano.whooop. He can kill himself for me. I love him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are running out of ideas. REBRAND

      Delete
    2. Hehehehe Rebrand. Pwetty is now a brand. Pwetty you hear? Rebrand

      Delete
  5. Anonymous: 'Gosh' yu make me sick' lwkmd.... Who yu dey form american voice for... My frnd go grand the beans wey una go take do AKARA sell tomorrow.... Nama ndi awusa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @edDreamz! U must really see me as a Frank spencer(in some mothers do hav them),Mr Bean(in Mr Bean),Jim Carey(in Dunmb and Dumber or d Mask),Mr Faulty(in Faulty Towers),Kim Parker(in d Parkers n Moesha) kind of person.Dis is also to let u kw I aint no Tumbo tumbo chic.Duhhhh!

      Delete
    2. So edDreamz ! I take it back,Gosh!!!! U make me sick! Sue me

      Brown Sugar

      Delete
  6. Awww see Love.. @sam where are you? Can you die for me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Maryam! Die fire!!! No just go near on-line love cos its d fakest,its dat kind of love dat won't allow d not yet invented electronic pant never come-down frm d chics ass.lol! Stay away frm Sam ,too much of him culd make u depressed.

      Delete
    2. @sam u hear? Stay away 4rm me oh!

      Delete
    3. omg... 20 years? lovely and touching. ofcos Maryam (Mrs Sam in the making) i do doe for you a million times.

      Delete
    4. i sure die for you a million times..... dont mind Anonymous.....

      Delete
  7. True Luv.....so rare....cant be found here....RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cried my eyez out reading this. It was so touching. Only a few of us experience love like this. They were both blessed. I do pray my husband would love me so.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Are you a young man or women
    seeking or interested in sugar
    mummy,daddy,gay and lesbian.Are you
    good in bed ?Do you really need a
    rich sexy sugar mummy or sugar daddy
    that can change your life
    completely with money and influence,
    so get the opportunity to meet
    sugar mummies from all works of
    life,politician,bankers,oil
    ladies,executives,directors,gold
    ladies,cash money ladies,Global
    Network group friends,doctors,dubai
    ladies,london based ladies,ladies
    willing to pay as much as 100-350k
    per night,and get the best
    exclusive VIP arrangement anywhere
    ,we have some
    rich sugar mummies who are urgently
    in
    need of sugar boys and some rich
    daddies who are looking for young
    girls to spend their money on,
    all you have to do is Get
    back to us through our
    emaill address :frankwilfort@yahoo.com. or
    reach us via our mobile 08165697812

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story is sad but weird though

    ReplyDelete



For Inquiries/Tipoff emepretty@gmail.com - Call 08095369321