The Critic-How Bovi did the unthinkable....... | This Is Miss Petite Nigeria Blog

Monday 11 March 2013

The Critic-How Bovi did the unthinkable.......

I rarely write a Diary where I'm not the lead character.I rarely have the inspiration to write things which don't involve me..But,I witnessed the most hilarious and mind-blowing show last night and hence my career as an event critic has been born.
Below is my unbiased review........

Bovi “Man on fire”. The distinct and catchy poster read. At a time when the proliferation of comedy shows with repeated and predictable jokes seems to be at its all time high, some considered this the wrong timing for yet another standup comedy show in Nigeria.

" It’s going to be another show with uncountable comedians breezing in and out of one warri inspired joke to another, the annoying blazing sound of artistes miming to their auto-tuned infested songs" an event critic maintained.

Bovi has no doubt carved a niche for himself in the comedy and entertainment business. He rose to the limelight with his self written comedy TV series "Extended Family"His recalcitrant,funny ghetto and  “Mr I too know” attitude earned him a place in the hearts of Tv & comedy lovers. But, he needed more than that to cement his status as an A list comedian .
With several high profile shows within/outside the country,2 nominations at the recently concluded AMVCA(African Magic Viewers Choice Awards) for his TV comedy series, it was clear this comedian who was once RMD's personal Assistant has metamorphosed into a comedian extraordinaire with many feathers on his cap.

So, it wasn't surprising that people turned out in mass to witness this highly anticipated event and the first original stand-up comedy show in Nigeria. The big question was how he was going to pull off a solo show.

Did he pull it off?
His partner in comedy crime, Basketmouth mounted the stage and made a hilarious attempt at upstaging Jim Iyke;s controversial  AMVCA looks. He wore a  shorts and jokingly begged the spectators to make him trend as he apparently couldn't understand why Jim Iyke would trend over a simple thing as wearing shorts, while he would do the same and not trend....lol

This put the audience in a light-hearted mood even though many were taken aback when he categorically stated that, being Bovi’s night, he was not allowed to make any jokes and Bovi was going to be doing all jokes. 
Someone seated beside me said and I quote Mehn that’s gonna be boring “ this elicited a nod from his lady companion who didn't understand what he said but just had to nod for nodding sake or from the wine she had been drinking non-stop

So, Bovi came on stage amidst a standing ovation and of course loud cheers and I waited to hear”You wan know the difference between ajebota and Pakororo”? With all due respect, that joke needs to be buried. If you ain't reinventing it, adding some spice..please let that joke rest in peace.So much money has been made off that joke..give back..spice it up(ok, I’m done ranting)

Starting off on a unique note,he begged us to take our seats alluding to the fact that,to whom much is given,much is expected.He also made reference to not keeping to time as a result of the fact that, we the audience didn't keep to time..and humorously chastised Banky W (who was arriving at the time) for coming late... that was the deal breaker,the crowd erupted in cheers and Bovi took control.

 As the minutes rolled by, his jokes got deeper, nothing was off-limits by this man on fire, Kim K’s visit, Dare’s performance,2face’s & Annie’s wedding,The Oscar Pistorious murder case, the Colorado shooting, the Nigerian man’s approach to sexual  explorations ,the Nigerian lady’s reaction to surprise situations, his experiences, real or imagined, Bovi effortlessly glided from one intelligent joke to another.

His vast knowledge of events around the world,public affairs and the way he seamlessly entwined these with comedy was nothing short of a genius.He was precise and clinical in his finishing. He enlightened and chastised, and of course had the crowd reeling in laughter.

Opportuned to be seated next to about 6 his colleagues such as, Omobaba,Buchi,Akpororos, the emotions, admiration and respect for their friend/colleague was undeniable . When one of them said “This guy is fucking Intelligent, these are like jokes from a newspaper”..I couldn't agree less.

The audience was on a roller-coaster and you couldn't predict his next move. His jokes portrayed an enlightened mind, a learned soul, an intelligent man.

Just when we thought, he couldn't top it, he added a cherry on top with an unbelievable rendition of President Obama’s inauguration speech vs  Goodluck Jonathan’s…at this point in time, it would have been sheer hate /badbelle, not to stand up and give this man on fire a standing ovation.

As Don Williams sang in his renowned track” The Gambler”’ You gotta know when to run, walkway, and never count your money, when you seated at the table, there’ll be time enough to count it, when the deal is done”
The star of the night walked away when the ovation was loudest,yet another lesson learnt,cementing his status as a certified Alist comedian.(His humility won't let him accept this..)  He redefined the true/traditional meaning of a "standup comedy show".
I'm not surprised Basketmouth put all his weight behind him. If you recall, Basket Mouth also went viral when he succeeded in hosting a one man show in 2008.He did two shows(Premuim/Classic) back to back and hasn't been the same since then.That's the ultimate reward for Originality.

Then he paved the way for amazing performances by MI,Chidinma,Eva,Seyi Shay,and ofcourse, Wizkid who had Banky up on his feet dancing throughout his performance(Epic).if I was to judge the state of their relationship from that,I could say there is no enmity between the Banky & Wizkid. That's was a typical Bovi effect

Sometime during Phyno and Olamide's charged performance, I heard a dignitary say "Who said it doesn't pay to be educated and enlightened?Bovi the most intelligent comedian in Nigeria..Basketmouth,Bovi,bad guys..His cheery friend stopped dancing and said" No bro,this guy is on Ghostmode.I didn't  see him coming"
 Bovi didn't hear that but (of course we know he would have been jumping backstage..isn't that what a man on fire does?lol)
I selected these few Star tweets

Lol Alibaba's tweet.Bovi was really blazing..the person who pour am fuel try..lol

I'm going to be doing events reviews from now on..I either praise or take you to the cleaners...lol 

Copyright-Miss Petite Nigeria (2013)

51 comments:

  1. Damn girlllllll you goooooooooooooooood.I was there last night and no1 could have put it better. I hope others learn from his show and i cant wait to see the video.Please do a review of the AMCVA.Waiting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Miss Petite always raising the bar.I love this review. Bovi is very talented and I wish I were in Lagos

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's handsome o.wow*lovestruck*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold ur lovestruck there.He's married.if u are a real fan,u would know that.Lovestruck my azzz

      Delete
  4. Coming from some1 who was there.I say this article is spot-on.Bovi has been highly underated but after lastnight,the guy proved his status as one of the best.And Basketmouth was just brilliant.A fantastic actor .The stint they performed at the end..getting the mic for Bovi,was epic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bovi is Highly Inteligent nd versatile...bur Emeh U good die. I love ur command of words nd I must say dis blog is 1 of d most educating Blog so far...LOVE DIZ BLOG!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's unique.No copy and paste;With each article,she sets the bar even higher.Kudos.I love this review and Bovi is my fav comedian.Yes,i was there.The guy KILLED IT

      Delete
  6. OMG!!!! Love u Emeh wonderful write up!

    Abeg wat happened btw Bovi and Ay?they used 2 be bestfriends#aproko tinzzzzz#

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are bloggers and there are BLOGGERS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daaaaaawmn!....u one compact petite miss #i no say mak u smile o#......who says bookuru no good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Precise and Concise.
    I'm impressed Emeh.
    *thumbs up*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you Emeh. Nice write up. Keep it up, be inspired. Bovi ĪS so so trending... Wish Him all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done babes,I am wowed by ur review and every other thing I've read on ur blog.kip it up

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so intelligent.Who wouldn't want to make you their PR person.I just fell inlove with BOVI again.I'm a guy#nohomo#

    ReplyDelete
  13. D show was dope!!!!! N I'm soooo glad I dint miss it!........Emeh sha! Writer of life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You could'nt agree less? I think the right english is"I could'nt agree more"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Petite finally made Joan the hater lost for words.No insult again.Level pass level.As for the correction,she doesn't need it.Bovi man on fire.U are a boss.I can't stop laughing at the Cossy over Kim K line.lmao

      Delete
  15. emeh this is another feather to ur cap or should i say to ur gele. u just raised the bar a notch higher, the write up is tight. omo, keep it up. yes oh there are bloggers and there is a blogger.

    and to any joanic comments, holy ghost..........

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charles Novia has got nothing on you. Wow! Brilliantly put. Welldone

    ReplyDelete
  17. Emeh,u were a lil baised coz there must have been something wrong.But this is so brilliant and I agree,Bovi is exceptionally intelligent and his Obama joke is a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice write-up.keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Miss Petite....nice review, really!!! Reading this made me feel like i witnessed the show first hand.... *thumbs up* Bovi is the MAN!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Emeh I commot CAP 4 U,Becos ur d best among d rest.more feahters 2 ur CAP.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Which PAPA Born dis Emeh?gosh Em ur Amazin.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I also blog and I'm proud to say uve raised the standard. I wasn't at the show, but from your review, it was like if I was there. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. all the way bovi.... more news,gist,gossip and more here at www.gistyinka.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. shit!!I'm a sucker for an intelligent and beautiful lady.If I ever come across u,i'll lick you up and down..i mean your feet.coz ur a boss.Btw,I follower you on twitter and I''m gonna marry u when i dump this dumb brazilian hair wearing senseless girl .
    Bovi is a boss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lmao! Oh my goodness!I'm actually laughing out loud like crazy!...but that was kinda mean, we can't all be brainiacs like Emeh now can we?

      Delete
    2. lmao secret admirer.U funny but no reach Bovi.Better buy book for ur girlfriend if she dumb.lol

      Delete
    3. u got us cracking with laffter, mehn this is mean! Brazilian hair na from dead body therefore it deadens the brain. Lol

      Delete
  25. Bovi of life.Yo cracked me up yesterday.My belle still dey pain me coz its not healthy to laugh nonstop for over an hour.Infact,I laugh pass 5k wey I pay.I owe you balance.lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. omg this blogger is the bomb.girl u are on fire.bovi needs to read this.this is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That's my girl doing what she knows how to do best#teamexchangemedia#

    ReplyDelete
  28. What is happen bw Bovi and AY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ask google after u correct ur English.Emeh,carry go and please write a movie or something.u go blowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

      Delete
  29. Emeh u are a genius, this write up, is out of "bloggers world", thumbs up, I believe if there's to b a competition btw bloggers for orginality, u' gonna top, thumbs up. Normal bloggers word, "I like,you like, likey,awww," and so on. An advice Emeh, try not to b biased, its not compulsory to inject ur own opinion on every thing u post,although sometimes u av to, see u at d top.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Bovi is the man,i think the guy is better than AY..just my own opinion

    http://ajetun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I hope you write about my event like this oh.I go munch am put for CV.Don't worry sending an email soon.Nice one and i'm glad no1 argues or contests this because the guy is damn good.The tweets say it all

    ReplyDelete
  32. I only started visiting this blog by mistake o. I was typing something on my browser and it just popped up. I thanked my browser cos I aint leaving this blog.
    You know what I like about you Emeh, you dont do the copy and paste. You either write afresh, edit or use your own words.
    I hate those copy and paste. Kuddos girl!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This article on point.Bovi on pointer

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this.Bovi's show was dope

    ReplyDelete
  35. I dint even go for the show..bt i feel like i was there ...nyc one girl... ps - your one of my two mentors in dis blogging ish...nyc one..

    www.the360engineer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'll ALWAYS remain PROUD of my Emeh...... And you know it!!!
    I love you girl! Muah

    ReplyDelete
  37. Amazing review, you are equally intelligent as this was a great peice of writing. keep up your good job

    ReplyDelete
  38. Speechless.i hate reading but i read everyword.Bovi has been my fav since day one.im glad he now has his own show

    ReplyDelete
  39. Mehnn this is a brilliant writeup.Bovi was really on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is fantastic.Bovi is dope

    ReplyDelete



For Inquiries/Tipoff emepretty@gmail.com - Call 08095369321