DIARY::of an unworn black dress..... | This Is Miss Petite Nigeria Blog

Saturday 18 August 2012

DIARY::of an unworn black dress.....

I’m one lady who prides herself in getting over any mishap. Be it emotional or physical. After I lost my dad a little over a year ago,I realized the emotional part of me had died. I become more carefree, and don't take things too seriously (unless blogging.lol).

In my box, there are these particular items I would never part with. There were gifts from my late dad. A leather skirt, sun glasses and A black gown. Yes my beloved dad took his time to send what he thought were fashionable items to his beloved daughter whom he envisaged would endup a lawyer.Yes I graduated from Law School,but don't see myself in a court just yet.

What he never knew was, I never wore them. The skirt was too big and my attempts at readjusting it was foiled after the tailor’s needle broke on two occasions. The glasses, too small and reminded me of Alinco’s glasses in the Nigerian comedy seris,Papa Ajasco.

But one of these items was so dear to me. The black long gown. The stunning gown had beautiful stones on the neck and I sometimes wondered how my dad got hold of such a fashionable item.
I kept it safe waiting for the appropriate day to put it on. When the time came, it's either i couldn't find the right pair of shoes to fit or,felt I would be over dressed.

Finally, the D day came. I was ready to wear my beautiful dress to the Global News Awards .Omg. I noticed a hole .” What could have perforated my dress” ? I wondered aloud. Being late to the event, I thought of what to do when, gbam I heard the faint sound of a tailor’s scissors  outside my gate.
Running out just in time to see a young hausa boy of about 17, carrying a mobile sewing machine.
I put my fluent Hausa Skills to play”don Alah, ka zo ka jara kaya na)pls come and fix my dress. My fluent language skills made him break into a smile as he entered the compound and I shut the gate behind him.

Giving him specific instructions to carefully fix up that hole. I rushed indoors to brush my hair, all the while humming and imagining how I’ll give Funke Akindele a run for her money down the red carpet. I imagined that glorious moment when I’ll see my pictures splashed allover Linda IkejiBella Naija, The Netng, Naijapals, 36o nobs and so.

My beautiful thoughts were cut short by a loud knock.
‘yarinya, n agama yanke kayan fa(young girl, I’ve finished cutting the dress o).Did I just hear him say cut? Cut what? No, he must have meant patch as I raced towards the door with my gel filled hair.
When I opened the door, I froze. ...

Click below to read more..



There it was, my beautiful dress had been chopped into two. With a smile on his face, he continued” Yayi ko nkara yanke wa(is it ok, or should I cut it more)

I looked him straight in the eye, my gaze lingering over his emaciated features. Then,I walked up to where his sewing machine was placed. Picked it up and slammed it so hard on the floor. I watched his facial features contort into something I couldn’t understand as he charged towards me.

in that spilt second, i realized the extent of my damage and decided to run into the house, bolting the door behind me. I ran to my room , getting under the covers and wondering why I over reacted.
Then I heard the knock”and his voice”bude kofa, ke bude kofa, n agama(open the door, open the door I’m done).
Huh! Done with what after spoiling my dress? I decided to go out there and face him. My father didn’t raise no coward.
I picked up a stick, just incase …you never know..Opening the door, I saw the tailor smiling” aunti, kin yi barichi ne?(aunty were you sleeping?)Omg ,I realized I fell asleep after giving him the dress and it was all a dream. I smiled as he handed the patched dress to me, perfectly sewn. Handing him the sum of 200 naira for a job well done, I shut the door ,walked into my room. I opened my box and placed it back for safe keeping.

“Maybe its wasn't yet time to give Funke Akindele a run for her money”. I picked up the big leather skirt I had never worn. I paired it with a white shirt. The belt firmly tied across my waist did nothing to camouflage the fact that it was over sized
I hour later, I stepped on the red carpet. No one noticed me, no camera clicked to take a picture. I was just another girl with an over sized black skirt. Minutes later, there was Funke Akindele gorgeously strutting the red carpet with all the camera men hoarding around her.
Never mind, I sure didn’t give Funke Akindele a run for her money. but I gave my dad a run for his…I excused myself to go to the ladies.And for the first time in months , I let the tears flow.

Copyright:Emeh Achanga ,August 2012

51 comments:

  1. Awww lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is superb!I can't say much but,YOU ROCK.Never mind,you'll give Genevieve a run for her money soon.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious.so it was all a dream?haha! You are a great writer chai!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss petite,what's wrong with the mobile version of your site.
    I used to be able to post comments directly from my phone but can't any more.its frustrating arggghhh!pls fix the problem coz many readers use cell phones to access blogs esp during weekends.
    This story is just awesome.You should be writing for a high street magazine please.

    Your concerned fan

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww.....emeh dis really got me in wide smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks @ all who take time to read and encourage me with lovely comments like these.
    My concerned fan,I've received the same complaint from many readers that they can't post comments via a mobile phone.I think the problem started 2 weeks ago and I'm trying to resolve it.
    There is another way ..for those who view this blog via their phones,under the post/page,u'll see (veiw web version)click on it and it'll open the web version of the page,then scroll under to the (post a comment tab)click and comment.
    a lil stressful huh!but worth it(smiles)
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this story made my weekend.hilarious to the bone.its on my fav list with the amber rose story

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a captivating write up. Your talent is real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..Very Gud write up..you are truly gifted..Much luv.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some people come in your life as blessings!others come in your life as lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emeh dear, i laughed and tears ran down my cheeks as i read this write up. i encourage you my fellow blogger. The sky is your starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. emehloco achanga, you made me feel down when you talked about ur late dad. Your dad used to be a very good writter am sure you got that from him. Just keep writting and writting who knows you just might get to those heights he would have loved to get to in lifetime. And you sure make ur daddy proud. I will never forget his book-discovered by the dead. Hmmmm good old days. I whish i could lay my hands on it again. Keep being a role model to ur kid sis. Jay town no dey dull

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmamma ,thanks dear,ur comments make my day

    @ dele,I'm so honoured to know ur a true fan

    Blessing dear,glad I made u laugh.lol

    Chumarh thanks you so much.I pray I never relent.

    @Aliou,suprise suprise..§o happy to read your comment

    @Frances,I can't thank you enough for always dropping comments on my blog.u rock and I see your comments on almost every post.thanks a mill

    @anonymous who called me emehloco..lol..you must really know me well.My late dad was a great writer indeed and I'm glad his gift was transfered to me.Everyday,he's in my thoughts and inspires me in ways I can't fathom.

    I pray I make him proud.

    Thanks to all those who comment anonymously.
    You all make it worthwhile

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emeh o! Have never commented b4. Bt had to on dis had a very gud laugh! Allah ya tsanya maki albarka!*hugsnkisis*

    ReplyDelete
  15. God bless u is all ill say!!may ur dad rip

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's lovely. Great story! Its never easy losing someone very dear; you're a strong lady, just a word of encouragement from me to you; The future belongs 2 those who r fully prepared & r driven by dat inner strength dat pushes them in2 accomplishing their dreams. D future is yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks you my dear.I'm so glad you finally got to comment on my blog.
      You've always encouraged me from day one

      Delete
  17. I'm a comedian and all I love to do is entertain people. It gives me joy to make people laugh. But the downside of my job is that I hardly get a good laugh and sometimes it's depressing. But after reading ur story, I think I laughed a backlog of dormant hysteria amounting to one year. That's me trying to measure it. I pray I run into u someday. Then I'd introduce me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my! I'm so humbled and flattered .I'm glad you had a good laugh.
      I trust you to remind me someday coz I wont forget this comment.
      lol

      Delete
  18. Hahahaha very funny. Cool story dear pls follow back@snowy_gal

    ReplyDelete
  19. Break hausa man machine!!! Yeeekpa.. U haff dead. Lool. Thank God twas all a dream.e 4 chuku ibanshi u walahi. All in all it a gr8 piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha haka ne.I cant try it o.lol Thanks dearie

      Delete
  20. Dis is nice keep it up gal. More grease τ̅☺ ♈ōϋя elbow

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful piece

    ReplyDelete
  22. *still laughing* gosh! Ur such a great writer.. Please make ur stories a regular. I'll look 4wd 2 them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks Sophiya. Trust me, I'll make sure i write a story every 2days.

      Delete
  23. Apart 4rm the autocomment and the fact that u reply ur readers which is so cool.I love u and u rock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww dear Moyorhista,you are very special to me.I pray I never relent.Thanks a million

      Delete
  24. I trust ma role model in blogging..must fix a date soon to come and see you and maybe run around with you unto ur preparation..*winks* u rock girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww my darling friend.I sure will.very soon

      Delete
  25. Hahaha. Right now my brother thinks I'm really weird cos I've got this wide grin on while fixating on my phone. Awesome write-up, beautifully scripted. Can't remember the last time I read sth this creatively funny...Why am I here just for the 1st time? BTW good to know you don't take things too serious, me too. Little wonder it reflects on my name :-). Sorry about your dad though.
    *Rushes over to my pc to bookmark misspetitenigeria.blogspot.com*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awww thanks for your lovely/hilarious comment.I hope your brother doesn't find u more wierd than *the joker*on your profile pic?lol
    Thank you for commending my writeup.I'm overwhelmed by the positive responses.
    I promise to keep them coming.Thanks for d bookmark.to whom much is given,much is expected.

    ReplyDelete
  27. =))º°˚˚˚°ºнaĦaнaº°˚˚˚°º‎​=)) ,I tot the tailor was gonna use dat big sicsors to bang ur head lol, I'm still laffing,I had to copy the link and send it to a friend.... So funny

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lol.ur laugh makes me laugh(gbagun).thanks a million Tosin.I'm glad u had a good laugh and even shared the link.thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wowwwwwwwww!!!! so amazed!!!!!! this is a beautiful write up. I read alot of articles but this is just so original!!! please whats the secret to good writing? Really desire such skill. You are aooooo amazingggg

    ReplyDelete
  30. beautiful piece, emeh. beautiful! ~ obote.

    ReplyDelete
  31. pls make sure u wear dt dress ooo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Emmeh darl.. That first day I set my eyes on you at errrmm.. I knew right then that this beautiful lady is going places.. I admired yor determination against all that you have gone through,And how far you have come without one single effect of all the obstacles you must have encounter as a writer or as a presenter and model. Just wanna tell you now that I believe in you and I believe mill of fan out there feel this same way bouf you. Boo em sure one day soon that breakthrough will come and you will do us all more proud. This is a nice piece of a writeup. Bravo emmeh!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great article! OMG! I laughed so hard. You and linda are the reason am on twitter. God bless the hardwork of this two ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  34. great piece Emeh!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG!!!..... @ a point in tym i gt scared cos i imagined d consequences of breakin an hausa man's property n source of livelihood, 10q God it was only a dream. Hilarious article, kip it up n God bless u!!!

    ReplyDelete



For Inquiries/Tipoff emepretty@gmail.com - Call 08095369321